Many people have questions about the outbreak of a respiratory illness caused by a new coronavirus called COVID-19 and especially how it may affect schools. We are writing to assure you that district and school leaders are reviewing emergency management plans to prepare for the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are closely monitoring the situation and regularly providing guidance. MDH is not recommending closing schools at this time. This recommendation may change in the future based on local and/or regional health conditions. MDH has assured school district officials they will be notified of any confirmed cases of the coronavirus within their school communities. We are working closely with state and local agencies to stay up-to-date on the best ways to keep students and staff safe. We will continue to update our plans and provide you with more information as it becomes available. Please understand that this situation is very fluid and actions/recommendations may change rapidly.We are in the prevention stage of helping manage the spread of COVID-19. These are the recommended actions we can all take to prevent the spread of any illness
- Protect yourself and others by washing your hands often with soap and water; covering your cough and sneeze; avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- If you or your child are sick, stay home from school and activities.
- Do not return to school or work until you are feeling better and a fever is gone for at least 24 hours without using fever-reducing medication.
- Be prepared in case you get sick and need to stay home. Keep enough food, regular prescription drugs, and other necessities on hand in case you need to stay home and are not able to go out easily.
- Frequently clean all commonly touched work surfaces, work areas, and equipment (e.g., telephones, doorknobs, lunch areas, countertops, copiers, etc.).
Progeny Academy will be taking additional precautions based on the MDH recommendations including the following:
- Large group gatherings will be cancelled or postponed
- Social distancing will be encouraged
- Daily student/building schedules will be altered to limit large group encounters
To learn more about COVID-19, visit:
- Minnesota Department of Health Coronavirus (COVID-19) Website (https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/index.html)
- CDC Coronavirus (COVID-19) Website (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html)
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the Department of Health (DOH) recommend students traveling to a Level 3 coronavirus country (refer to the CDC website for an up-to-date list) not return to school until 14 days after the day of travel from the Level 3 coronavirus country. If your family is planning to travel to or is returning from a Level 3 country, we ask you to contact the school office (763-325-9150) for more detailed information.Thank you for working with us to keep our community informed and safe.